This is our curated roundup of maker/artist/explorer events!
Angle brackets (>>) point to related info on our site.
Aug 25. There are programs throughout the United States to celebrate the Park Service’s 100th birthday.
- Now – 2017. Art Quilt Tour: 13 art quilts created in celebration the National Park Service Centennial are touring the National Parks they depict now through 2017.
- Read on to find out about celebrations in Arizona, Hawaii, and Massachusetts!
Aug 19 at Reid Park, Demeester Performing Arts Pavilion, Tucson. Free admission.
>>Ongoing Phoenix-area movie events.
2nd Mondays, 6pm at Gangplank Chandler. Free monthly meet-up of artists and crafters. Learn something new or bring your own project to work on!
Aug 20, 10am-5pm at Flagstaff City Hall Parking Lot. Celebrate the National Park Service’s centennial with a free park fair, photo booths, and cake.
Sep 15-16 at Windmill Winery, Florence. Blogging conference with workshops, speakers, and networking.
>>Our visit to Windmill Winery.
Now – Sep 25 at Levitt Pavilion band shell in Memorial Park, Pasadena. Free concerts featuring both emerging and established musicians of many genres.
- Thursday through Sunday evenings.
- Thursdays are children’s nights.
- Festival opens two hours before music starts.
- You can picnic on the lawn.
>>Our drive to Pasadena in one minute.
Balboa Park San Diego Summer Events
- Now – August 29, Mondays, 7:30pm at Spreckels Organ: 2016 International Summer Organ Festival. Free outdoor concert series.
- Now – Sep 2, Fridays: Balboa Park After Dark. Extended musuem hours, food trucks, and entertainment.
- Now – Sep 5, 3:30pm at San Diego Zoo: Nighttime Zoo. Artisan demonstrations, movies, live music and other performances to celebrate the San Diego Zoo’s centennial.
- Now – March 3, Sundays, 2pm at Spreckels Organ: Sunday Organ Concerts. Free weekly concerts at one of the world’s largest outdoor pipe organs.
Aug 14, 8pm at Copper Still, Los Angeles. A monthly comedy-focused variety show at the bar inside Jaraguá Salvadoran restaurant.
Now – August 21 at Loveland Museum/Gallery, Loveland. Art with animals as the subject, which explores their complex relationship with humans.
- “The Rat Race” sculpture (and photo) above by Ken Newman will be included in the exhibit.
Sep 3 – Oct 9 at Volcano Art Center, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park campus. Juried exhibition of multimedia artwork featuring depictions of the Alalā, Hawaii’s native crow, in anticipation of its reintroduction into the wild this September.
Now – Aug 31 at The Arts of Life North Shore studio, Glenview. Exhibition of new work that examines the ways we interpret “fancy,” at the intersection between elegance and tack, refinement and kitsch.
Aug 20, 1-4pm at Eagle Park, Lowell. Interactive pop-up museums with crafts and informational materials, neighborhood tours, and a community weaving project in celebration of the National Park Service’s 100th birthday.
Now – Aug 20 at Museum of Illustration at the Society of Illustrators, New York.
Aug 19, 4pm at Hayground School, Bridgehampton. At least 15 New York City and Long Island food trucks serve food and drink during the Community farmers market. Event benefits Hayground schoolyard projects providing culinary arts training for local kids. (Graphic via Edible East End.)
Now – Sep 4 at Portland Art Museum. Exhibition of Native American fashion designers from the 1950s to today.
Aug 20 at Devils Backbone Basecamp Brewpub & Meadows. Celebration of Virginia’s craft beer industry.
>>Over 60 participating breweries, including South Street, which we visited in Charlottesville.
Now – Aug 28 at Seattle Art Musuem. Exploration of how six historical artists used prints and drawings to express personal sentiments.
Monthly at National Museum of American History Demonstration Kitchen in Coulter Performance Plaza. Food history demonstration and talk by a guest chef and a Smithsonian host. Each month they will prepare a different recipe that ties back to the Museum’s exhibitions, research, and collections.
- Aug 12, 2pm. Julia Child in the 1970s
- Sep 17, 2pm. Hispanic-American Culinary Heritage
- Oct 15, 2pm. Harvest Season